Arthritis is a problem in the human body that leads to swelling up of the joints and pain and restricted movement of the body parts. Arthritis increases with age and due to regular wear and tear of human muscles and tissues. Arthritis is of two types:-
So, here are a few reasons why is it important to lose weight in arthritis: –
- Ease of Pain: – Weight is directly related to the pain caused by arthritis. If an average person loses 10 pounds of weight, this will reduce the pressure of about 40 pounds on the joints. And researches have stated that losing about 10 % of your weight eases joint pain up to a considerable amount. As the joints would experience less pressure, the wear and tear by regular activities would also decrease and ease the pain of arthritis.
- Reduce inflammation in Joints: – The swelling up of the joints is called inflammation. When you reduce the fat stored in your body, the inflammation in your joints reduces, which helps in arthritis. As per reports, it is proved that obesity activates inflammation.
- Cost Savings: – Arthritis is a comparatively costly disease that includes medications and treatment expenses. Also, people who have arthritis are advised to work less, which will reduce the person’s income.
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease: – If you lose weight, you other benefits apart from ease pain of arthritis. Having a healthy lifestyle like a nutritious diet, daily workouts are beneficial for losing weight. It helps you in maintaining optimum blood pressure aids in reducing the cholesterol level in your body. As per heart studies, arthritis is related to heart-related conditions. So, keeping your weight under control is essential in having good heart health.
- Improves Sleep: – If you have a healthy diet and optimum weight, you will have better Sleep. If you have arthritis, then the pain caused by it can interfere with your Sleep. So regular exercise and staying fit can enhance your sleep patterns.
How to lose weight in Arthritis?
You have to follow a few steps and medications to lose weight and get rid of arthritis.
- The most important thing before you start losing weight is to consult your doctor and physician. Suppose you face severe pain in your joints and have restricted movements. Kindly consult a doctor before beginning any exercise or using any gym equipment so that you get more treatment and do not harm yourself.
- You must follow a planned and strict diet regime if you are serious about losing weight and getting rid of arthritis. Plant-based food, like vegetables and fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, herbs, and spices, are recommended.
- It would help if you did some exercise regularly to open up your muscles and reduce the swelling in your joints. Some recommended practices by professionals to get rid of arthritis are: –
Food Habits to lose weight in Arthritis
It is vital to follow a diet regime that helps in reducing your weight and easing the pain of arthritis.
So, the food that you must include in your diet should be:-
- Nutrient-rich, fresh foods.
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Fiber-rich foods like whole-grain and plant-based foods.
- Healthy oils like olive oil.
- Liquid food like yogurt, soup, or homemade fruit juices.
If you are overweight and want to ease arthritis pain, then it is recommended to lose at least 10 % of your weight. You must consult your doctor to take up a strict diet regime to control your weight. It would be best if you started exercising slowly, regularly, and eventually level up. If you feel pain while exercising, do not overlook it. It is a sign that you must stop and not overdo anything.